All members of the Cinefamily community:
- Do you have information that would be useful to investigators or regulators?
- Did you experience or witness things that concerned you?
- Do you wonder what happened to the info you gave to Cinefamily’s “independent investigator”?
- Did you decline to speak with Cinefamily’s “independent investigator”?
If you SAW something, SAY something!
please report any concerns DIRECTLY to the government.
The California Attorney General’s Office has oversight of non-profits, and all complaints are kept confidential.
Other government offices may also be interested. For instance, if your concern is related to taxes or finances, see the state Franchise Tax Board or the Internal Revenue Service. If your concern is related to consumer fraud, see the L.A. City Attorney. If your concern is related to neighborhood or community impacts, see the local Council Office. Resources related to sexual abuse can be found on the staff & volunteer page.
In any communication with the government, you should note basic information:
- You are writing about The Cinefamily, California corporation Number C3055250, Federal Employer Identification Number 26-1734079, and whose sole corporate member is Dan Harkham.
- You should explain the nature of your concern, whether it was something you directly experienced, and how it affected you or others. If you have evidence or documentation, you should include (or reference) it.
- If you are willing to provide additional information or answer questions, let the government know. Tell them how to get in touch with you.
- Government staff may not be allowed to respond directly to your concerns if there is an ongoing investigation. We encourage you to request an acknowledgement that your communication was received. You will need to provide contact information.
Nothing here should be construed as legal advice.
Or use this online complaint form
City Councilmember Paul Koretz
Attn: David Hersch, Deputy Chief of Staff
5th Council District
200 N Spring Street, Suite 440
Los Angeles, CA 90012
E-Mail: david.hersch [at] lacity.org
California Secretary of State
NOTE: Snail mail required. :(
Business Programs Division
3rd floor – Legal review
1500 11th Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
Corporate Filings Division
Document Filing Support
P.O. Box 944260
Sacramento, CA 94244-2600
Office of the California Attorney General
Registry of Charitable Trusts—Complaint Division
1300 I Street
P.O. Box 903447
Sacramento, CA 94203-4470
Phone: 916 445-2021
Facsimile: 916 444-3651
E-Mail: Complaints [at] doj.ca.gov
Or use this complaint form
Copy the Dissolution Section of the AG’s office by sending to Kenneth.bohaty [at] doj.ca.gov.
California Franchise Tax Board
Exempt Organizations Unit MSF120
P.O. Box 1286
Rancho Cordova, CA 95741-1286
NOTE: Snail mail required
December 29, 2017
Registry of Charitable Trusts – Complaints
Office of the Attorney General
P.O. Box 903447
Sacramento, CA 94203-4470
Sent via e-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Re: Cinefamily dissolution & request for investigation
Dear Mr. Bohaty:
I am writing regarding Cinefamily, a California nonprofit public benefit corporation whose sole member is Dan Harkham (corporation number C3055250, FEIN 26-1734079). On November 14, 2017, following a public sexual harassment scandal, Cinefamily’s Board of Directors announced their intention to dissolve the organization. I am writing to oppose the dissolution. As a California taxpayer, a member of the public, a Cinefamily donor, and a supporter of Cinefamily’s stated mission, I also write to request a full investigation into possible bad faith actions and/or criminal activity on the part of Dan Harkham and/or the board of directors.
I am concerned because...
I would request an acknowledgment that you have received this letter. I am available to provide additional information as necessary. As much as is possible, I would like to be kept aware as this case progresses. You may reach me at 123 Main Street, Los Angeles, CA 90036, by phone at 213-555-1212, or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Cc: California Attorney General Registry of Charitable Trusts – Dissolution Section
California Secretary of State, Business Programs Division
California Franchise Tax Board, Exempt Organizations Unit
Internal Revenue Service, EO Classification
Los Angeles City Attorney, Consumer Protection Unit
Los Angeles City Councilman Paul Koretz